Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Strange Food - Germany

When you come to Germany you will get the impression that traditional German food is pizza, pasta and kebab (or as they say here Döner). And when you are German and want to host some foreigners and invite them for a typical German dinner you'll get seriously in trouble due to the fact that there are only a few dishes left that are like ... German.

One of the weirdest thing you can eat in Germany has its origin - like most of the weirdest things here - in Bavaria. And no ... it's no sausage although the white sausage ("Weißwurst") would have an enormous potential. Still it is meat ... or to put it correctly: it is meat and meat alone for my weird food from Germany is "Schweinshaxe" (hams hocks) sometimes also called "Eisbein".

It is made from the lower part of pork's leg and they do not much with the meat but boiling it or putting it into an oven. In the end you get a really unbelievable fatty meat part including some part of the leg bones. A Schweinshaxe is therefore heavily marbled meat covered with a thick layer of crispy fat. The skin is still on it. Mostly there are no side dishes but bread and beer (Of course!). Only sometimes you get at least some "Sauerkraut" or potato dumplings with it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Desiree said...

I do have some German heritage and have been exposed to 'hamhocks' or as my parents and grandparents referred to them "Pork hocks" served with Sourkraut.

I did like them, when younger - but do try and overall go lower fat now, so, I do not make them for my family (I'm sure the kids would make faces and groan if I tried).

1:35 PM  
Blogger Jock said...

I do love Eisbein!!!!!!!
Actually, I love german food!

1:56 PM  
Blogger Rebelde said...

I lived for a little bit in germany and I althought I saw it, I never tried Schweinshaxe, what I do know is that Weiswurst looked a little bit weird the first time but tasty and yummy as hell... God save good ol' Deutschland

7:11 PM  
Blogger Sampsa said...

It's like in Finland!

We too love the "holy trinity" of pizza pasta and kebab. Just delicious, isn't it?

I've imagined german food to be about meaty sausages,potatoe and herb filled stomaches, beer and some more meat.

3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how would you think ppl devise a menu that would cut your arm and leg for the tea? pigs are really...

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home