Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Strange Food - Japan

There are days people eat Unagi (eel in English) in Japan. The days differ from every year, and their outstanding days are especially in July and August. These days are called “Doyou no Ushi no Hi” which indicates especially in summer.

This custom of eating Unagi started in Edo period (1603-1867). There are some origins about this Japanese custom. Ohtomo Yakamochi (717?-785) who is well known as a tanka poet recited a poet “maintain your health by eating eel” in the Man’yoshu; the earlist extant anthology of Japanese verse, it comprises some 4,500 peoms and was compiled in or after A.D 759.



In fact, Unagi is well-nourished fish. People in Japan especially eat Unaju which has broiled Unagi on rice. This dish is good for people who loose her/his appetite because of the summer heat when they want to get energy.

In my opinion, Unaju is delicious dish. There are of course some people who don’t like Unaju because of eel itself or gross looking once you turn it back and see the skin. I wonder weather there is country eat eel. Have you eaten eel? 

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I love this one!!! It's so delicious! Espcially with it serving this way with the rice. I'm so hungry now, havent' have my lunch.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Munak said...

when i see unagi, it reminds me of sushi king.

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Munak, hehehe... I had it at Sushi King :P

9:00 AM  
Blogger cole edwards said...

yum. yum. yum.

11:41 AM  
Blogger get zapped said...

I just love ungagi! And I'm happy to hear it has such good benefits besides its yummy flavor.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Desiree said...

I enjoy many seafoods... so, if I were presented with Eel as you show it here with the rice, I'd certainly give it a try.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Zerowaste Baker said...

hi people, thank you for your comment about my post!!

Unagi is must-eat dish, I think. desiree, if you like seafoods, you will love unagi!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Sampsa said...

I've never tasted it, but even the thought of Japanese food makes me hungry.

3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home