Saturday, October 28, 2006

Words you should know in my country : Denmark

"Hej" is pronounced like hi and is used for saying hello - "Hej" and good bye - "Hej hej". Along with "Tak" for thank you and a smile you should now be ready to meet the Danes. Simple, right?


Photo by: AllWork

The Danish language is said to be one of the more difficult to learn and close to impossible to master for non-natives, but hey, on with lecture.

Next sentence is "Jeg vil gerne have to øl" (I would like two beers). I wont try to transcribe this phonetically because I have no idea of how to do that. To celebrate the new acquisition of liquid a loud and firm "Skål" (cheers) is appropriate.

After having exchanged the previous line a couple of times along with some hejs and taks you might need to ask "Hvor er toilettet?" to go relieve yourself.

To take your Danish vocabulary further into the night I refer to ThePrint who has done a very nice job with his recorded Danish Lessons - Learn how to say:


My Swedish friends say Danish sounds like a drunken Swede, some claim that Danish sounds harsh and rusty and others say we speak like we have a potato in our mouth. I will let you be the judge. But before you give your verdict try and say this Danish tongue twister "Rødgrød med fløde" (Red pudding with creme) here is a video of attempts made by a Swede, Irish and American:


7 Comments:

Blogger cole edwards said...

I love your phrases. Very handy. Especially the shaved balls. I can ask for 2 beers, please in french and spanish. Now in your lanuage. Yea.

Very funny.

welcome.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Clare said...

I travelled round Africa in a group that included four Danes. They taught us to say Skål -- and they were very strict about us looking into each other's eyes as we said it.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Jock said...

Hey...

I think "hej" is hi in polish too!

11:20 PM  
Blogger Aurora said...

Hej :) I have to say that my favourite danish word is piskeflöde!!! "Piska" in swedish is whip, as you might know :) I can see myself with a whip à la Indiana Jones whipping the cream up ;)

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Rasmus said...

Thanks for linking to some of my phrases. I always hope someone might find a use for them - and tell me about it!

3:13 AM  
Blogger Michael Carøe Andersen said...

For some reason the shaved balls is also my favorite of Rasmus phrases.

I wonder how you say whipped cream in Swedish?

And then I was out with this post a bit to early because there is at least a couple of Danish bloggers that knows and appreciates the Danish language a lot more than I do.

I asked the two word birds what their favorite Danish word was and they came back with "henslæbe" and "frugtsalat" - I guess they would translate into dragging around and fruit salad respectively although the meaning sort of gets lost in translation.
Check out the two girls' YouTube talk about Danish curse words.

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im still trying to say that thing.. hehe

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home