Sunday, October 29, 2006

Words you should know in my country: Scotland

English is the official language in Scotland but Scots Gaelic is still spoken in some areas of the north west highlands and we have lots of Scottish words which can be very descriptive.

Wee - small
Braw - lovely

A dinna ken – I don’t know
Crabbit – grumpy
Blether – to have a good blether is to chat or gossip
A weegie – someone from the city of Glasgow
A teuchter is someone from the Scottish highlands
High heid yin - someone of importance eg company boss or government minister. Often said ironically
Dreich – describes a particular type of Scottish weather when it is dull, cold, damp and wet
Sea haar is a cold wet mist that comes in off the sea and very common on the east coast
Eejit – idiot
Bampot - idiot
Tumshie – turnip
Hence – tumshie heid – turnip head or idiot
Futtock - ferret - I just love the sound of this one
Hey, Jimmie - excuse me
Ceilidh - Gaelic word for an evening of Scottish dancing

Lots of our words describe our rather unhealthy diet and liking for deep fried food:

A fish supper – deep fried fish and chips
You can also get a black pudding supper or a haggis supper
A bridie is a bit like a Cornish pastie
A roll ‘n’ sausage is a piece of sliced sausage in a roll or bap and is different from a sausage roll (meat in pastry)
A piece ‘n’ jam or a jammie piece is a jam sandwich

A few choice phrases:

Gauny no dae that – please don’t do that
Gauny gie’s a haun – could you help me please
Gie’s a wee swally – could I sample some of your alcoholic beverage please
Pure dead brilliant - means that something is awesome or really good

9 Comments:

Blogger cole edwards said...

Do you say Crack in Scotland too? As in, Hey I am so cool I know where the good crack is!

I have some Irish friends who say that and as a dumbass American, I think it is really funny.

ALSO, you all curse a lot. Like all the time. I love that. Perhaps you do not, but the scots I know, cuss up a storm.

1:24 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

Hi Cole

The word crack is used but it comes from the Irish usage. Crack has another meaning here - a part of a woman's anatomy so take care how you use it! I don't think I swear a lot except when I'm angry! Some Scots say things like, "It's f****** brilliant."

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wanted to have a "Futtock"!

5:39 PM  
Blogger cole edwards said...

oooooohhhh...what body part??? I love it.
xx

1:11 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

Hi Cole

Use your imagination!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

Mad muse - LOL - You forgot the bit about it having one leg longer than the other so that it can run very fast round the side of mountains!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Sif said...

I met a Scottish man when I was in York just now, and he was absolutely convinced that the most important thing you need to know in Scotland is "poke my horn"

:D

2:42 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

You mean "pog ma hon" which is Gaelic!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Sif said...

Oooh, my bad :D

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home