Sunday, October 29, 2006

Words you should know in my country - Australia

I remember once I went to a trivia night at a pub with a foreign friend of mine. Each team has to have a team name and one team was called "Cor Blimey Streuth". My friend, who had been in the country for a little while, said she didn't know any of those words!

I laughed and said they all mean the same thing it is an interjection of surprise and amazement, like "wow, amazing!"

"Cor" originates from the 1930s. I don't know where it comes from.

"Blimey" is an old English expression. It is a shortened form of "God blind me!"

"Streuth" is an Australian expression. It's short for "God's truth!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Australian has many slangs! Man... I'm having trouble understanding them when I talked to my Australian friends. LOL...

4:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whres me washboard

how queer has any one seen it?

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home