Friday, November 10, 2006

The One Thing My Country Doesn't Have Is - Australia

Australia suffers from a lack of distinctive Aussie food.

The only food that even comes close to being a ‘national dish’ is the Aussie meat pie. Unfortunately various other nations, particularly England, claim it as their own.

There is a lot of typically traditional Aboriginal ‘bush tucker’, including crocodile, goanna (a lizard) and witchetty grubs but these aren’t the sort of thing you’d find in an Australian restaurant.




In current times, the kangaroo steak has gained a bit of popularity. The kangaroo is a common native animal – often growing in numbers to pest proportions to the point where culling sometimes occurs to limit their numbers. It has lean, high protein meat and has become somewhat common in supermarkets and restaurants.


5 Comments:

Blogger Jock said...

Hello Adam,

I got very curious, what´s the kangaroo flavor like? Sheep meat?

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about lamington?(hope I go the spelling right :P)
Gossh.. you're talking about food, it's making me hungry again...

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried Kangaroo steak for the first time this summer and it was wery tasty. Kind of like a tender beef steak, I higly recomend it.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Rebelde said...

Don't worry about not having a "national" dish... I found out that our national dish, and I mean THE national dish is also served in Brazil (your people stole our idea, Diego), but after I thought about it I realized we have a special way of making it, so it's not exactly the same, maybe that same thing happens to you down under

7:00 PM  
Blogger Jock said...

ops... tsc tsc

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home