Friday, November 03, 2006

Words you should know from my country--United States

Sadly the one that comes to mind first is

Dude --pronounced Doooooooooooddd. Say like the word dew but with a D at the end.

I know there are lots of phrases that are local to each state that are pretty interesting.
Some of my personal favorites are:

To say when it is cold outside:

"It is colder than a witches tit."
"Colder than a well diggers ass"
"Nippy"
"Frosty"
and to enhance your words you can add the sound "Burrrrrrrr"

When it is hot outside:

"It is hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement"
"Boiling, man"

If you like someone a lot:

"I dig you"
"You are the bees knees"
"You rock"


If you hate someone:

"I loathe you"
"You suck"
"You stink"

If you want to get drunk:

"lets get toasted"
"Lets get smashed"
"I am so totally tanked"
"I am three sheets to the wind"
"I am wasted"

I am also pretty fond of all the cuss words in our country and some favorites are:

Bullshit
Dog shit
Shit
Son-of-a-bitch
Cocksucker
Fucking-A
there are many many others I enjoy but these are kind of the strangest I think if you are from another country and are not familiar with our language.

I live in Maryland and the accent here can lend it self to some interesting prounciations. For example if you wanted to go to the beach for a vacation and maybe partake of some illegal substances you would say,
"Hey, hon, lets go downyocean. We'll get rweally rweally stoned and screw up our chromEsones."
Or if you want a drink...you might say,
"Hon, get some woter at the zink."

I reccomend a John Waters movie to get the whole accent idea correct.

I encourage you to come to the USA and visit different areas of our country. They are all different and although we all speak english you might not know it due to the variable accents.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jock said...

USA must be like Brazil - every region has its own accents, vocabularies...

Big countries, a lot of cultures... :)

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I real liked your writtings,
Please visit me at :
www.sole-notes.blogspot.com

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Rebelde said...

Accents are very funny in USA, and so diverse that sometimes difficult to understand, at least for me. Particularly I find hard get the southern accent, and new york accent is very funny

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home